We love a cheese toasty or a Reuben as much as the next person, but if you’re trying to lose a few pounds before the holidays, that daily oversized sandwich has gotta go.
Luckily, it’s super easy to whip up a tasty, satisfying lunch without relying on bread. These five recipes look as good as they taste. In fact, most of them are so pretty they could even double as party food.
1. Grilled Courgette and Goats Cheese Roll-Ups
- 2 medium-sized zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ oz. herbed goat cheese, room temperature
- ½ roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tsp capers
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Slice a strip lengthwise from the zucchini to expose the inside of the vegetable. Discard or reserve for another use. Cut the 2 ends from the zucchini to make straight edges. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into ½-inch strips.
- Brush both sides of the zucchini pieces with olive oil. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lay the zucchini pieces on the grill. Cook until very tender, but not mushy, about 3 minutes per side, moving the pieces during cooking to ensure even browning.
- Remove from the grill and set on a wire cooling rack.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of goat cheese on each zucchini slice. Divide the red pepper and capers evenly amongst the zucchini.
- Gently roll each piece of zucchini. Serve.
2. Turkey Tacos
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1lb lean turkey mince
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup tomato passata
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Iceberg or Romain lettuce leaves, doubled up, for serving
- Grated cheese, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, light sour cream, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes. Add turkey and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing and breaking up turkey occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes until sauce has reduced. Serve mixture over lettuce leaves with desired toppings.
Recipe and image: Cooking Classy
3. Egg Crepe Breakfast Burrito
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp heavy cream [optional]
- to taste • salt and pepper
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp mayonaisse
- 1 cup romaine lettuce [chopped]
- • roma tomato [sliced]
- bacon strips [cooked crisp]
- 1/2 avocado [sliced]
- Mix the eggs well with the heavy cream, salt and pepper
- Heat up a non-stick pan to a medium heat.
- Melt half the butter and add half the egg mixture. Tilt the pan back and forth to ensure it covers the entire base.
- Cover the pan and cook for about a minute.
- When you are able to move the entire crepe when shaking the pan back and forth, flip it over with a spatula.
- When it’s fully cooked, transfer to a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Repeat with the other half of the egg mix.
- Spread the mayonaisse on the crepe.
- Add the lettuce, tomato, bacon and avocado.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll and enjoy!
Recipe and image by Living Chirpy
4. Cauliflower Grilled Cheese
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets and stem removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese
2. Place cauliflower into large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Your cauliflower should be soft and tender (and hot!).
3. Stir cauliflower, place back into the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove and stir again so that all the cauliflower cooks evenly. Place back into microwave and cook for 5 minutes. At this point, you should see the cauliflower is starting to become more dry. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Cauliflower should still be slightly moist to the touch, but should look dry and ‘clumped up’.
4. Add in egg, Parmesan and seasoning. Stir to combine until smooth paste forms. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Place onto large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your knuckles and fingers, shape into square bread slices about 1/2 inch thick. Bake cauliflower bread for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
5. Using a spatula, carefully slide cauliflower bread off of parchment paper. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwiches. Add a slice of cheese in between each pair of bread slices. Place sandwiches under grill for several minutes (5-10) until cheese is completely melted and bread is toasty.
Recipe and image: KirbieCravings.com
5. California Turkey Wraps
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices deli turkey
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced
- For the Basil-Mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- For the Basil-Mayo: combine ingredients in a small food processor then process until smooth. Alternatively, mince basil and garlic then whisk all ingredients together. Can be done a couple days a head of time.
- Lay out two large lettuce leaves then layer on 1 slice of turkey and slather with Basil-Mayo. Layer on a second slice of turkey followed by the bacon, and a few slices of both avocado and tomato. Season lightly with salt and pepper then fold the bottom up, the sides in, and roll like a burrito. Slice in half then serve cold.