I thought what the heck is Cloud Bread ? Bread with no carbs? I saw this recipe few months ago and with the name like that I knew I had to give it a try. I’m not sure why I waited this long. This Cloud Bread is so soft, airy, fluffy and practically melts in your mouth. It is very delicious home-made bread replacement that is practically carb-free, gluten-free and high in protein.
Kids really loving it too! They are so fooled thinking it is a real bread. But I don’t really make it for them. I started making it for myself because I’m on no-sugar, no-carb eating journey at the moment. Thank god I’m not a sweet person so I never ever crave sugar or cookies, but this Cloud bread is fooling me too. This recipe is making it easy not to crave bread. It can be consumed in a variety or ways such as hamburger buns, hot or cold sandwich. My favorite way to enjoy my cloud bread is to put a slice of tomato and melted mozzarella on top or with a piece of smoked salmon and cream cheese. And with my fav healthy chicken salad. Yummy!
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 Tablespoons cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (or cream of tartar)
- Optional ingredients: 1 TBS Honey or your favorite natural sweetener, salt, garlic powder, rosemary and other fav spices/herbs
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius)
- Separate the eggs, there must be no yolk in the white.
- In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, cream cheese and honey until smooth.
- In the second bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder (or cream of tartar if you prefer, I just didn’t like the taste of cream of tartar) to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy, form a nice peaks and hold their peaks. It should look something like this:
- Slowly fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites and mix carefully, you don’t want to break the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
- Do this as quickly as possible or the mixture may start melting – Spoon the mixture into 10-12 even rounds onto lightly greased baking sheet, sprinkle with rosemary or your favorite spices and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes on the middle rack. Then broil (cook the top) for 1 minute and watch it until they become nice and golden brown. At this point make sure you watch them so they don’t burn
- Remove from the oven and let cool and enjoy!
They can be stored in the container on your counter-top for 3 days. They can also be stored in the refrigerator for 7 days and they can also be stored in the freezer. If you decide to toast them, set the timer for 1 minute or the sides may burn.
Let me know how you are enjoying it. Do you know someone with the blood sugar issues and that would love to make these, please feel free to share this recipe with them! I would love to see how yours came out! Please post your photos to my Facebook Page
Based on my research, people love easy and healthy recipe that do not require a ton of ingredients. Try this one.
Update: I could not help but made a video “How to make Cloud Bread” in action! Especially many of you said that it didn’t come out right the first time or there were few problems with beating the egg whites. Watch it here or on Youtube and let me know what you think
Update #2. Many of you asked about the nutrition information. So I went ahead and calculated using the recipe calculator from SparkRecipes. The below is based on 4 main ingredients 3tbs creem cheese, 3 eggs, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 TBSP of Brown sugar. I usually get 10-12 even rounds (servings) As you can see one bread has less than 50 calories – 38,5 to be exact! As you can see it is lacking on the fiber. This is no problem and easy fix. You can add 1 Tsp of Avocado Seed powder for a boost of antioxidants, fiber and gut healing nutrients!
So here it goes: